Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: AR3's are worth this much?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: AR3's are worth this much?

    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    There are plenty of people who would say the same thing about the Altec Model 19 and to the same degree they would be right.
    I would have to agree with you that there are plenty of people out there who would say that Altec Model 19 speakers are not "hi fi". Romy the Cat and his multitude of online aliases/personalities over at his website/forum (and elsewhere), plus I'm sure we could get thousands of people who would agree that Altec Model 19's don't have "hi fi" sound quality if we took a poll of the Miracle Ear Network members...... In all seriousness I would have to say it's hard to judge how good a pair of speakers sound when your head is far up your @ss (not you speakerdave, but the "plenty of people who would say the same thing about the Altec Model 19", THEM).

    Quote Originally Posted by David Yost View Post
    I can't comment on the value question, but to suggest that AR speakers were not hi-fi is ludicrous--they, along with KLH and a handful of other NE manufacturers, practically defined hi-fi during most of the "golden-age" of the mid '50s through mid '70s, besides having measurably deeper bass, flatter frequency response and wider dispersion than anything Altec ever offered for home use during the time period. Low midbass distortion and high efficiency are areas where the "west coast" speakers of the era may have excelled, but these are not usually considered "hi-fi" criteria......
    OK, this statement is a sweeping generalization and over simplification if I ever heard one. I'm not going to join a debate about which speaker manufacturer made better speakers AR or Altec Lansing. I know AR speakers have their merits and certainly qualify as hi fi, but to say that they have "measurably deeper bass, flatter frequency response and wider dispersion than anything Altec ever offered for home use during the time period" is way too general of a statement. "ANYTHING Altec ever offered for home use during that time period"??? Really? ANYTHING? So, according to that logic, you're saying the AR 1 speakers have a flatter response than the Model 19's? I'm sorry, and I'm not generally an argumentative person, but I'd like to see some actual measurements before I believe such a sweeping generalization/over simplification regarding Altec's entire line of home speakers from that time period. The Model 19 (with crossovers controls set to optimum position) gets a pretty flat response according to any measurements I've ever seen. But you're saying AR speakers are more flat than ANY Altec speakers offered for home use during that time period. I'm not saying that some (or possibly even many) AR speakers don't have a flatter response than some (or possibly many) Altec Lansing speakers from the same era, but I won't believe that AR speakers have a flatter frequency response than ANYTHING Altec ever offered for home use during that time period". I just did a quick google search. Figure 3 on this page shows the frequency response curve of an AR-1. Certainly not perfect (as no speaker is).
    Acoustic Research AR-1 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

    Here is the frequency response curve of the Model 19's (check the curve for the 19's with crossover controls set in "optimum" positioin). I'm no expert but they look more flat to me. I could look for more examples but it's not worth my time. I knew before I even looked that your statement was way to general and oversimplified to be true.....
    http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...r%20Manual.pdf

    Quote Originally Posted by David Yost View Post
    Low midbass distortion and high efficiency are areas where the "west coast" speakers of the era may have excelled, but these are not usually considered "hi-fi" criteria......
    Yes, many of the classic Altecs have low midbass distortion and high efficiency. I'll give you that. I think you're leaving out a lot of other things they're known for. For example, the light coned woofers that Altec manufactured are not only highly efficient, but their "light" design helps them to be extremely accurate reproducers (w/faster/transients for example --say for applications such as listening to music!). I'm not going to spend the time to list the top 10 ways that Vintage Altecs excel, suffice it to say that they don't only excel at having low midbass distortion and high efficiency--that is doing a whole myriad of classic Altec speaker systems a huge injustice...... I know there's a lot more to hi fi than flat response and accurate overall sound reproduction, but those are certainly two important factors. Yes there are many tweeters that have wider dispersion patterns than many horns can provide, but the mantaray for example has a nice wide dispersion pattern -- certainly wide enough for my demands/personal taste.....

    I waited a few days to respond to this thread because I knew if I responded immediately I'd submit a pretty p*ssed of post. I guess waiting didn't help much. Here's a generalized statement I do think is true: say whatever you want about me, but be careful what you say about my Altecs! :snickerpup:
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: AR3's are worth this much?

    The simple and direct answer to the questions is, "Not to me." But it only takes a couple of bidders with a wild hair to make this kind of thing happen on ebay. Collecting, nostalgia, excitement of the the game are all factors, I assume.

    Yeah, I meant that at some point everyone's choices or opinion become an irrefutable and inarguable factor. I don't form a judgement about the Altec 19 myself, having never heard it, but I do know its appeal is not universal.

    Listened to plenty of Altecs though, some of them (Heath legatos, Magnificents, 604 8G, stock) for a long time, though I cannot do it now.

    People choose speakers for many reasons, some of them not directly connected to their sonic quality. As to the sonic quality, since no speakers are perfect, you have to find a pair whose positive qualities you like and whose imperfections you can ignore. Sometimes over the long run you can't ignore them any more, so you must modify or change--or listen less, and that often happens after several changes.

    Or you can sing.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: AR3's are worth this much?

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    ... say whatever you want about me, but be careful what you say about my Altecs!
    I think they have meds for that now...
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.